Monday, August 1, 2011

Why I Won't Be Watching Shark Week

"Each year, sharks attack 70 to 100 people, with 5 to 15 of those being fatal. Each year, people attack up to 100 million sharks, and it's deadly every single time." Source
I admit that I used to be a huge fan of Shark Week. However, I won't be tuning in this year.. for a number of reasons. First, I'm obviously not into TV. I think it's a (very efficient) tool to distract us from actually living; to distract us from reaching our fullest potential as human beings. Because if we were to stop being automatons for even a second, we might just realize how inhuman we are and fight back. I'll leave that topic for another post though. Second, I honestly don't find it the least bit interesting. I mean, how many years of shark attacks will it take for people to realize this. I'd imagine that the "Human enters water. Shark attacks Human." story would get old after the first 23 years.. but to my surprise, people can't get enough. Third, as the article above explains, I don't agree with the way shark attacks are being sensationalized. For goodness sake, take a look at that statistic! Who are the real "victims"? Most certainly not humans. My fourth reason for boycotting Shark Week is that I find it sad that we have looked to TV to satisfy our inner craving for some kind of relationship with nature.. instead of spending time actually interacting with life: animals, plants, etc. Of course, I'm not one to talk: I've been spending WAY too much time indoors lately.. reading and blogging and learning. Perhaps I could use a little fresh air myself.

So there you have it.. My rant on Shark Week.

3 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with everything you just said. Also, i'm glad to see you've made a more personal blog (: I'll be book marking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great view ive never looked at it like that!!"we might fight back " awesome keep it up

    ReplyDelete